Welcome FUSION readers!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Frugal 101: Newspaper Inserts

Newspaper inserts are one of the easiest ways to get coupons. You simply purchase a Sunday paper (or subscribe) and open it up to find a variety of little inserts filled with coupons.

Which coupons will I get? If you want to see which coupons will be included each week, you can check the Sunday Coupon Preview. Be aware that coupons and their values can vary between different cities across the country, but this is a good resource for getting a sneak peek. I always recommend getting the paper every week this way you aren't missing out on any coupons.

Why are their different inserts? There are 4 main companies who put out these coupon inserts. The company name is usually listed on the top left corner. The four main companies are:
How many inserts will I get? This varies from week to week but typically you can expect to receive 1-5 inserts in your news paper. Smartsource & Red Plum are usually present weekly. Proctor & Gamble typically comes out once a month. General Mills issues their inserts randomly throughout the year. SCP also has a the yearly insert schedule.

Is it worth the cost of the newspaper? Absolutely! Even at full price ($1.75 in my area), I would say there is an average of $75+ worth of coupons on any given week. Remember, some weeks have more than others. Some have less. Either way, I think it's well worth the investment.

Are there ways to save on the newspaper? Oh yes. You know me, I love to find a deal and I hate paying full price, even for the newspaper. In my area, the Dollar Tree carries the Sunday paper for $1 each week. Kroger also sells the Sunday paper for $1 starting on Monday. I prefer my paper to be delivered to my doorstep (well, close enough) so I have a Sunday-only subscription. Check with your local paper office or go through Discounted Newspapers (nationwide) to get a great deal.

Should I get more than 1 paper? There are different theories on this but I say yes. Here's why. The more coupons you have, the more times you can work a deal. Eventually in this series we are going to work our way up to stockpiling and I'll show you how to get items for FREE or just pennies. If you only have 1 coupon then you can't stock up on that item at that inexpensive price. The general rule for how many papers to get is 1 per family member. If you are just getting started, this may sound outrageous to you, but I assure you it will be worth your while. At the very least start with 2 per week.

Are there other ways to get newspaper coupons? You can always check with a neighbor or friend. You can also order coupons but I'm saving this topic for a special post all on it's own. If you want to get ahead of the game, check out The Q Hunter. :)

Until next time...

If you are just joining us for this series, you can catch up on previous topics. Don't miss future installments of Frugal 101. Subscribe via RSS or get Email updates.


Print

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: